Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Joan Wilder Art: Sarah Peele


Sarah Peele requested Cruella De Vil from 101 Dalmatians. I got two reference photos of Sarah.


 The thing with the actual character design of the animated Cruella is that she's thinner than Olive Oyl with facial features that would cut glass.
The red that is along her snake-like body is the lining of her coat. Have a sandwich Cruella, even if it's a puppy sandwich.
No human being is proportioned like that (though, as a character design nerd, I do have to say it's a great design. There's no mistake how evil she is. Even if her last name wasn't "devil". Also, that song.) There was also the live action version from 1996, but I have no affection for that version. It did serve as a lovely reference for the stark-white hair,

So, I ended up basically giving Sarah satin gloves, a black dress and a puffy fur coat. Looking back, I probably should have made the coat puffier.

The background is almost straight out of the foyer of the family's house:


 I added the portrait of the dalmatian to really hit the nail on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment