Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Joan Wilder Art: Ariel Karlin

Ariel Karlin was very specific in her character choice.


Sean told me specifically that she wanted "1979 Alien Ripley." I would later learn she very specifically did NOT want Aliens (and I don't blame her... why did James Cameron go for an 80s Ah-ha video when Ridley Scott had that awesome industrial-gothic look in the first movie???) So I found a nice promotional photo of Sigourney Weaver in her Ripley costume.

Oh Ripley, you nut. Now, come on, I want to talk to Dana.
I used a film-authentic Nostromo patch for the details on the sleeve. 

For the interior, I found a post on a guy's website that was dedicated to the beauty of Ron Cobb's and Chris Foss' production design (discussing how elements of a gothic cathedral, while also using the familiarity of the Star Wars set designs with more industrial/military designs to produce the unease and cramped feeling of being stuck on a small ship with a Xenomorph. Of course it's in Spanish, but it's there.) Anyway, this corridor from the 1979 film was the backdrop.

No comments:

Post a Comment