Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Joan WIlder Art: Pete LePage


Pete LePage (who also co-hosts Comic Book Club, which is pretty awesome, and I hope anyone who got my Gil Kane and Jack Kirby references in the Sean post, checks Pete's show out), originally wanted to be a dragon. Which is a cool idea, but it's tough to take a regular dude and turn him into a dragon. Not to mention that it doesn't fit stylistically with a bunch of people dressed as people-as-things or people-as-people. So he had to revise his choice to "Pete in a dragon costume". Which is much better.

His reference photo:
In all fairness, he did have a dragon pose photo, but this was much more in keeping with the style. That style being onions tied to your belt.
 Then I had to find a dragon costume. Didn't take long for that:
You can buy this costume here. I don't know where you can buy that child.
So then we needed a background. Pete's was the toughest. Originally, I was thinking a castle on fire, like in the great movie Reign of Fire. Then I realized a) that movie is terrible and b) I was already doing a village on fire for Beth.

So I went with a more placid scene, using Neuschwanstein castle in Germany. There are many lovely photos of that lovely castle. I can't be bothered to find the specific one I used. So here's this one:

It's no Castle Grayskull, but it'll do.

2 comments:

  1. Dragon costumes are always look cool and funny. I'd love to dress my whole family this costume for Halloween this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know that nowadays realistic dragon costume is very famous among the kids and adults. Because these costumes are so good for halloween. So, if anybody wants to buy costumes like this for their kids then I'll told them to visit your website. Thank you

    ReplyDelete